Interview with a Nursing Quality EXpert
Directions: After completing your interview you must use this form to submit your assignment to the Dropbox. You may use the form to capture information as you conduct your interview or fill it in later. The form is expandable and will enlarge the textbox to accommodate your answers. Do not rely only on this form for everything you must include! Please look in Doc Sharing for specific instructions in the Guidelines for this assignment.Criteria Fill in the answers in this column.
Indicate 2 scholarly resources or texts used prior to the interview to familiarize yourself with the individuals organization role or any of the questions you plan to ask that will make you a more knowledgeable interviewer. Resource #1:
Resource # 2:
Demographics: Provide initials credentials job title and length in present position of the registered nurse interviewee. Include the date and time the interview was conducted. Provide a working phone number for instructor follow-up if needed.
(Ask the interviewee about EVERY topic in this section)
Scope of responsibility: Major responsibilities direct reports and operational budget
Organizational mission vision values and beliefs
Strategic planning related to ONE core competency (name the core competency)
Role of BSN-prepared nurse to support the strategic plan
Practice Impact Question
(Reflect on the interview afterwards to ask yourself this question and provide it below.)
How does completing this interview impact your practice as a BSN-prepared nurse Give specific examples.Interview with a Nursing Quality Expert:
The following is the purposes of this assignment:
Discuss the roles and responsibilities of a Nursing Quality Expert in a selected healthcare organization.
Review the organizations mission vision values and beliefs.
Discuss the Nursing Quality Experts strategic plan as it relates to The Institute of Medicines Quality initiatives and ONE of the following core competencies.
1) Employ evidence-based practice
2) Apply quality improvement
3) Utilize informatics
Conduct a core competency-focused interview with a Nursing Quality Expert.
Articulate the role of the BSN-prepared nurse to support the strategic plan related to selected IOM core competency.
Articulate what was learned from time spent with interviewee and how own nursing practice will change as a result of the encounter and completion of this assignment.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
CO 1: Apply leadership concepts skills and decision making in the provision of high quality nursing care healthcare team management and the oversight and accountability for care delivery in a variety of settings. (PO #2)
CO 3: Participate in the development and implementation of imaginative and creative strategies to enable systems to change. (PO #7)
CO 5: Apply improvement methods based on data from the outcomes of care processes to design and test changes to continuously improve the quality and safety of healthcare. (PO #8)
CO 6: Develop a personal awareness of complex organizational systems and integrate values and beliefs with organizational mission. (PO #7)
CO 7: Apply leadership concepts in the development and initiation of effective plans for the microsystems and/or system-wide practice improvements that will improve the quality of healthcare delivery. (PO #2 and 3)
This assignment is worth a total of 200 points.
This assignment Interview with a Nursing Quality Expert is due at the end of Week 6. Submit your completed interview using the Interview Form to the basket in the Dropbox by Sunday 11:59 p.m. MT. Post questions to the weekly Q & A Forum. Contact your instructor if you need additional assistance. See the Course Policies regarding late assignments. Failure to submit your paper to the Dropbox on time will result in a deduction of points.
1. Download the NR447 Interview Form from Doc Sharing. It is found under the Week 6 Interview link.
2. Select your interviewee schedule and conduct an interview. This individual must be a Registered Nurse employed in a leadership role as a Nursing Quality Expert. Job titles of RNs who may be considered include but are not limited to: Quality Care Coordinator Performance Improvement Officer/Coordinator Director of Quality Assessment Compliance Officer Safety Director Regulatory Officer/Director If you have any concerns about whether the RN is suitable for this assignment contact your instructor BEFORE you schedule and conduct the interview.
3. Review all areas of inquiry on the Interview Form located in Doc Sharing PRIOR to conducting the interview. You may print the form and take it with you to the interview. However you may not give it to the individual and ask him or her to complete it and return it to you.
4. Note there are three areas of inquiry to discuss with the RN/Nursing Quality Expert.
5. Prior to conducting interview review two scholarly resources related to the ONE aforementioned core competencies upon which you plan to focus. These resources should guide your interview process and understanding of the Nursing Quality Experts role and responsibilities as it relates to the selected core competency. If you have questions about what constitutes a scholarly resource please ask your instructor.
6. Prior to interview review the organizations mission vision values and beliefs.
7. Note that practice impact must be addressed by YOU and is a very important criterion
8. Conduct the interview. The length of your interview will vary but should not exceed one hour.
9. Submit the form to the Dropbox prior to the deadline outlined above.
Category Points % Description
Scholarly Resources 20 10% Name two resources reviewed prior to conducting interview related to selected core competency.
Describe how each resource helped student prepare for and conduct interview.
APA formatting for two resources is correct.
Demographics 10 5% Initials credentials job title and length in present position of interviewee are provided. Date and time of interview are provided. Working phone number of interviewee is provided for instructor to follow-up if indicated.
Scope of Responsibility 30 15% Provide a paraphrased or summary of the interviewees answer indicating major responsibilities and number of direct reports (staff who report to him/her). If none please say so. Indicate total operational budget for which interviewee is responsible. If unwilling to share say so. You may quote the interviewee but sparingly. Do NOT provide a verbatim transcript of everything that was said. Bulleted items may be used.
Mission Vision Values and Beliefs of the Organization 30 15% Provide a paraphrased or summary of the interviewees answer. Do not quote from the website. Use the Nursing Quality Experts interpretation of these. You may quote the interviewee but sparingly. Do NOT provide a verbatim transcript of everything that was said.