Write 3–5 pages in which you discuss how a current information system used in the delivery of patient care contributes to improved patient outcomes.
In using information system technology, nurses are able to track and measure data to improve patient outcomes.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 1: Describe the importance of effective scholarship and evidence-based information to advance the profession of nursing.
. Describe how an information system used in nursing contributes to evidence-based nursing practices.
· Competency 2: Identify strategies and best practices for using informatics in nursing and health care.
. Describe how a nurse researcher uses information technology to define patient safety within the context of outcomes.
· Competency 3: Explain the use of information management tools and technologies to monitor and improve health care delivery and patient outcomes.
. Describe how nurse leaders and nurse informaticists use technology and evidence-based practice to contribute to improved patient outcomes.
· Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is consistent with the expectations of a nursing professional.
. Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
Write an essay in which you analyze an information system for its effectiveness in improving patient care.
Select an example of a current information system used in the delivery of patient care. Note: Ideally, select a system from your workplace to examine. If you are not currently working, select a system from an organization close to where you live. This technology should be used for data management designed to improve patient care.
Familiarize yourself with the technology. Do some personal research to gain a deeper understanding about the technology. Visit the Web site of the company who markets the technology to familiarize with how the company positions the technology in the market. Read articles online and in the library related to your chosen system. Remember to take notes to keep track of what you discover. Examine the following aspects of the technology:
1. How is the information system designed to contribute to safety and quality in the care of patients?
2. What types of data are tracked, monitored, stored, and trended in the system?
3. How well does it accomplish what it is designed to do in your chosen real-world setting?
4. How is this information system used to support research? If it is not currently being used to support research, how could it be used in the future?
5. What types of opportunities are available for nurses, in any scope of practice, that gives them the chance to participate in the design and testing of this system?
6. How might the technology be enhanced so it better meets the needs of the professionals currently using the system?
Compare what you learn with how your chosen technology is being used in the workplace. Think about your own workplace and consider speaking with other professionals who currently use the system.
Write an essay in which you discuss what you have learned about how your chosen information system is used in the delivery of patient care and how it contributes (or does not contribute) to improved patient care. Include the following categories:
· Describe your chosen information system and its intended role in improving patient care.
· Explain why you chose to examine this particular system.
· Capture in 1 or 2 sentences the main point of what you learned and your personal opinion of this system based on what you learned.
· Support your main point with subpoints that include examples and supporting evidence that address each of the six points listed above under the Preparation heading. Be sure to cite expert opinions and evidence where appropriate.
· Include a concluding statement. Offer ideas, concepts, or activities that nurses, in any scope of practice, might want to consider that could improve how they could use this system to improve patient care.
· Written communication: Ensure written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
· APA formatting: Format resources and citations according to current APA style and formatting guidelines. Include the following:
. Title page.
. Running head (a short title that appears on every page).
. Title on the first page of text.
. Level 1 headings for paper sections.
. In-text parenthetical citations and a reference list.
· Number of resources: Cite a minimum of four peer-reviewed resources.
· Length: Submit 3–5 typed, double-spaced pages.
· Font and font size: Use Times New Roman, 12 point.