Community Health Assessment
Write a 2 page report on the concepts, processes, and tools needed to conduct a community health assessment, how to find the data, and how to validate the data. Explain the factors that can affect the health of a community, along with how to obtain that information.
Understanding community and state health care issues and concerns, the local resources available, and accessibility of those resources can inform health care practices and improve quality patient outcomes.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 2: Describe the concepts, processes, and tools required to conduct comprehensive health assessments for individuals, families, communities, and populations.
. Describe the data necessary to make an informed community health assessment.
. Explain a strategy for obtaining data and how data helps determine the health needs of a community.
. Explain how to establish the validity and reliability of data used in a community health assessment.
· Competency 3: Explain the internal and external factors that can affect the health of individuals, families, communities, and populations.
. Explain how to obtain information on and what the factors are that affect the health and wellness of a community.
· Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations of a nursing professional.
. Write content clearly and logically with correct use of grammar, punctuation, APA formatting, and mechanics.
· Toggle Drawer
· Social and lifestyle behaviors can affect health. In fact, some would argue that many, if not most, health risks can be mitigated through lifestyle and behavioral changes. With this in mind, the health care provider must be aware of the socioeconomic factors and the lifestyle factors present in a population.
· SHOW LESS
· Both social and cultural factors influence many lifestyle factors. Living environment, housing conditions, employment factors, diet, and cultural beliefs all play a role in a person’s levels of risk and resulting health. The nursing assessment must include these social influences as part of the domain necessary for evaluation and inclusion in the assessment approach, and integrate a framework for analysis, which includes all the social milieus associated with each dimension.
· Evidence-based health assessments are done using health data from private and public organizations. There are many opportunities for gathering health data in a community, through public health systems and through private records, where approval has been obtained from participants.
· Collecting primary data must involve informed consent. Secondary sources can also be used by obtaining aggregate data from health plans and health care providers that do not include personalized demographic data. Each of these data sources can be important to forming a picture of a community’s health, which can then be compared to national standard data such as that provided through Healthy People 2020. Understanding the current health status and the perceived needs of a community can help to provide the valuable information needed to set forth a plan which evaluates the current and future health needs of the community.
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of your professional community.
· What types of techniques and activities should be included in a community health assessment?
· How can these techniques and activities help determine both assets and gaps in health care services in a community?